If We Were Having Coffee on the 2nd of January, 2021

Hello and Welcome! Come on back and sit down and I’ll get you a nice mug of super strong dark roast, a cuppa tea, some cocoa or other beverage. It is still damp out, but I had the table and chairs in the little sheltered patio area by the barn, so it should be dry. And it is warmish. OK, it’s not cold ;) Were are we? Some of you may recognize that Edward Gory mug as being not too far from his house on Cape Cod.

Obviously the big thing this week is that I am on Cape Cod. It has been over a month and a half since I have been here. I don’t remember the last time I was “off-Cape” for this long. Massachusetts has a travel restriction, which.. anyway, I drove down on Monday evening and so have been here most of the week. I took this week off, so it has been relaxing.

This week I walked in the woods, walked on the beach (actually two beaches), walked (with and without dogs) to the two landings within walking distance of the house, played with the dogs, ran twice (my run goes down to and along one of the beaches), exercised, read, studied, puttered around the house, etc. So a relaxing week off.

I am a boring person, so, as usual, I went to bed early on New Year’s Eve. I did have a nice drink that night. I don’t remember the last time I stayed up to midnight. I know I did for 2000, but I’m not sure if I have done so since.

So, yeah, I’ve been pretty boring this week, but it has been nice to relax. I hope to be able to come down at least one other time in January. In ways it is nicer here in the winter since there are far fewer people.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you all have a good and safe 2021! I’m going to go take the dogs for another walk and will try to get outside as much as possible while I am here. I will, though, try to stop by your place if you are having a coffee share.

Have a wonderful weekend!

The coffee share is hosted over on Eclectic Alli. (This is the last week she will host – thanks for doing it! We’ll see a new host soon.) The link to join in is here.

45 thoughts on “If We Were Having Coffee on the 2nd of January, 2021

1. Beaton

we diligently do the work of staying up all night from New year’s eve into the New Year so we can sing the sun up otherwise the new year wont start….. you are welcome ^_^

Squints at mug, hey is that batman or just a random vamp

compliments of the New Year
    ~B

Liked by 2 people

lol, at least you have a short night to stay up for the sun – it’s pretty long here!

The illustration on the mug is by Edward. He Gorey specialized in twisted and dark tales, like an “A-B-C” about ways different little kids die. The bat was from one of his books. I’m not sure what it was about, but I liked it.

Hope you have a good 2021

Liked by 2 people

2. Moumita De Sarkar

There is nothing boring about going to bed early, even on New Year’s eve. Rather it shows a sense of discipline. Now wonder you find so much time and energy to walk with your dogs, exercise and even read.

Happy New Year, Trent!

Liked by 2 people

3. bearmkwa

I could really go for a “boring” week. At least I’m starting the year out with 1 small order… Christmas cards for next year so I have months to make them. With nothing else being ordered, I foresee me having that order completed by week’s end. I’ll also be making some other things to sell once the world reopens… hopefully soon. With new health insurance not covering meds, I’m going to need the extra cash. In the meantime, cutting back to bare existence. As if the last few months weren’t bare enough. Hubby returns to work tomorrow… thank goodness!

4. Corina

I’m glad you’ve had a relaxing week! Yay you! I always stay up until midnight. Even when I am all alone, like I was this year, and there is no reason to stay up, I do. I think it’s in my blood. This is my 65th New Years Eve so I guess it’s a habit!

Wishing you much relaxation and good health this year!

Liked by 2 people

I think for me it is a habit as well, but a habit in the other direction. I always stayed up as a kid, even a pretty little kid, but as an adult it seem anti-climatic, so I just stopped someplace in my late 20s.

I hope you have a good, safe and healthy year as well!

Liked by 2 people

I pretty much always go to bed early (I start work early), though staying up late isn’t a chore – I just didn’t want to ;) Yeah, seeing 2020 out of the door might have been nice, but it was also nice to wake up and it was just gone.

Liked by 2 people

5. Piglet in Portugal

I am late for coffee, so I will pull up a chair and reheat the dregs. We never stayed up until midnight either. No point welcoming a new year because by the looks of it 2020 won’t be any better than 2020 :) I drove to our local beach today. Still can’t walk on sand but I love to take coffee on the clifftops overlooking the sea.

2021 will start off pretty much like 2020, and, as they say, the darkest hour is just before the dawn, but hopefully we will see that dawn… Glad you could look over the ocean but sorry you couldn’t actually walk on the beach. Beach walking is always relaxing. Have a great week!

Low key New Year celebrations are often the best, though I understand why some people wanted to celebrate this one! It was nice to change scenery, though we drove back last night. Time to go back to reality, I mean work ;)

6. dprastka

Relaxing is important and I’m so happy you were finally able to get to the cape! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thank you for the strong cup of Joe!! Nice to wake up to the smell of coffee brewing. ā˜•šŸ˜€

Liked by 3 people

7. Marilyn Armstrong

Last year managed to be a year where terror and tedium fought endlessly to dominate our lives. Our day to day lives seemed interrupted only by feeding pets, throwing balls and toys, and retrieving packages while blasting from the television were news of fresh disasters that never seemed to end. This is the stuff that makes us crazy. I really don’t mind boring. What I mind is boring intermittently interrupted by horrible and terrifying. I’m sure eventually we’ll find all of this humorous. Eventually. I hope.

It is funny, if I ignored the TV (or news on the Internet), 2020 was a pretty good year for me in many ways. But what was going on in the world! Wow. And continues to go on – I will be so glad when I don’t hear the T word 10 times a day! He caused a million times more anxiety in me than any virus. And natural disasters. And… Oh well, I agree, hopefully we will see a time when we can all look back on 2020 and laugh. Hope you have a good 2021!

8. dawnkinster

I’m glad you had an enjoyable week! We stayed up for New Years Eve in 2000 too, it was cool watching the century change country by country. But I think since then I’ve stayed up maybe twice. Or once. :)

It was funny – we had a party on New years’ Eve 1999/2000. At 10 there were at least 25 people in the house. My brother and I were the only ones to see 2000 in – everyone else left or went to bed. Thanks, I hope you had a good NY and have a wonderful 2021!

9. Writing Sparkle

It sounds like a relaxing week off and a lovely way to lead into 2021! We were in bed before mid-night as well. We spent a bit of time playing video games with the boys and then we watched “The Croods 2” with them. It was nice and it was relaxing. Well, wishing you a safe and happy 2021 as well. Thanks for the virtual coffee Trent.

10. Gary A Wilson

Hi Trent. I had to laugh. My wife shamed me into staying awake for a New Year’s kiss. She thinks I’m quite the wimp about going to be before 10 pm but she called me a party-pooper for even thinking about sleeping though the midnight chance to see the first moments of 2021.
    I still don’t see the value, but I married a smart woman for a reason and in general her advice is sound. This time I only had to stay up a few extra hours (which I spent reading) and got a kiss for making it to midnight. The whole world should have such problems.
    HNY my friend.

Liked by 2 people

That’s funny. My wife boring/a wimp like me ;) She didn’t want to stay up either, though I don’t think she turned off her Kindle until after 11. I guess if you stay up for midnight on New year’s Eve, this was the year to do it, just to see 2020 go out the door.
      Happy New Year!

For a while, people coming into MA were supposed to register. If they had a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arriving, fine. If not, they were supposed to sequester for 14 days. They had (have) a $500 a day fine for people who don’t do it. NH, were I live, was exempt until mid-November. With numbers spiking again and with people traveling for the holidays, I guess they figured they needed to added NH. Of course it is almost impossible to get a test here and it occasionally takes several weeks to get the results, which is idiotic since one of the big reasons for a test is to see if you need to self-isolate (miss work). I know several people who self-isolated for 14 days after taking the test, missing work, etc., and then finding out on day 20 that they were negative. Anyway, back to MA, they have the restriction. I don’t know how enforceable it is. When I am here, I don’t go to any stores or anything, so… It was good to get away.

Liked by 2 people

I have been teleworking part time for years. I started teleworking full time Jan 1, 2020, so I would have been doing it even without Covid-19. I don’t work with anyone in the facility where i sat, and the people I work with are all very far away, so it didn’t make sense for me to be takign a seat… You are right, some people have to be able to go into work.

Liked by 2 people

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )