One of my recent projects has been recording JS Bach’s Little Fugue in G Minor with a synthesizer. I will post the video here in case you you want to hear it but don’t want to read about it. Be aware that I did a few fumbles, but I think overall it worked well.
(Note – I replaced the original video with a newer version November 1, 2021 – below is still about the old version. Click here for info on the new)
OK, a little bit about it, then…
The other day I decided to try to play J. S. Bach’s Fugue in G Minor, called the “Little Fugue” since there is a grand fugue in G Minor, on a polyphonic instrument using an organ sound. No, I don’t have a real organ, so I can’t play the pedals. Anyway, I was surprised at how well I did sight reading it. I left, came back and started to play again, but this time on my Behringer Poly D (Minimoog clone). I loved the sound! So I decided to record it.
I purposefully used very clichéd sounds for this, recording one part at a time. As stated, the Poly D is a Moog Minimoog clone, so I used those sounds from the 70s that made the mini such a popular instrument (the bass is more 80s techno-pop). Each line was played separately and used a different cliché.
The biggest issue was getting this all to synch – I can play the parts easily enough, but to a metronome? A little harder than I expected! Anyway, there are a few places where the parts don’t match exactly and a couple were they are way out of whack… Overall, I think most of it synched well, but don’t be surprised if you hear some muddy areas (if you know this well, you may even cringe on occasion ;) ). One bad thing is that I recorded the tenor part, changed my sound, and then did the bass part and only then discovered some of the areas that tenor and soprano got out of synch. It was a little late then… I may go back and do this entire project from scratch since I should be able to perform it better, but then again, I say that with most of my music projects. (Edit 11/3 – but this time I did… I recorded an updated version that is a lot cleaner. I changed the video at the top to the new version on 11/2 and made the old version Private)
I will write a review of the Poly D soon enough (here – posted 10/26). This was my first major project with it. One thing, it does not have a built in Energizer battery… lol. I used double sided tape to stick the battery on so I could use it as a makeshift music stand – see the photo at the top of the page. Some day I may use real wood and do a better job with the music stand…
I hope you enjoyed!
(Oh yes, Little Tiberius helped! He sat on the mixer and supervised the entire thing ;))