The Weekly Smile for the 6th of June, 2022 #weeklysmile

Hi All! An odd wee for me. There were a lot of negatives – super stressful week at work, outside of the UK the news was all very depressing, there was a seemingly an endless barrage of hate and such coming through social media, etc., etc., etc. Ugh. I think everyone is feeling it for not only have I seen more hate on social media in the last week than ever before, I have also read more messages saying we need to step back and be thankful for all of the good, to keep that positive attitude, to be kind, to continue forward with a smile. I’ll admit that even though I write “The Weekly Smile” every week, it is often difficult to keep that positive attitude, so it was nice seeing all of those positive posts :) Thanks to all of you for posting those notes of positivity and kindness!

(Real quick aside, on the subject of kindness – I have four signs on my lawn, a pair on either side so cars can see from both directions. One of the pair is from our local Lions Club and says “Be Kind” in large letters and then some Lions stuff in smaller letters. The other is that “hate has no home here” sign you see all over. I make the Lions sign more prominent since the other seems to have taken on political ramifications – I want the message seen, not the politics.)

On to the post…

This weekend was gorgeous. The weather was what I call perfect. The highs were just over 75 F/ 24 C and the humidity was relatively low, so warm enough for shorts, but very comfortable. It did get chilly at night (around 50 F/ 10 C), but that is great sleeping weather – I keep the windows open and it is perfect. The sun was shining bright, and it did feel hot in the direct sunlight if there was no breeze, even if the temperatures said cool.

I really didn’t do anything over the weekend, but I did spend every minute I could outside. I mowed the lawn and did a few other outside chores, I took plenty of long walks, I talked to neighbors and did other stuff like that. i even sat in the sun and read, which is a rare thing for me. But it was great. I needed to be as far from technology as possible – I do not carry my phone with me when I am outside, so I was competently un-tethered most of the weekend.

I didn’t really do anything, but it was refreshing.

Those were my smiles for the week, the handful of blog posts that reminded me to stay positive even when the world seems to be going crazy, and just hanging out on a couple of beautiful early June days.

What made you smile?

****

Come on, I’m sure you smiled at least once last week.  Why don’t you share it?  I hope you can join in!

Here is list of “rules” and guiding ideas.  If you don’t have time to read it right now, just remember that this is an exercise to spread positivity.  Don’t smile about the misfortune of others.  Don’t smile in a way to excludes others.  Make sure a 12 year old can read it.

To join in, write a post to share your smile and then leave a comment on this post with a link to your smile.  Or, if you prefer, do a pingback to this post (pingback = have a link from your post to this one) (Note – pingbacks have been very inconsistent – please leave a comment :) ).   You can post any time until next Sunday evening (to be simple, I will say midnight GMT, which is 7 PM Sunday for me).  Note – I am no longer compiling the smiles into a weekly post as I used to – Sorry, I do not have time.

24 thoughts on “The Weekly Smile for the 6th of June, 2022 #weeklysmile

1. Ju-Lyn

The bad news just never ends. If it’s not one thing, it’s another. So I hear & feel you.
    Thank you for choosing to see the beauty and sharing kindness. It is very encouraging to know there are others who are trying to make a difference in our own little corners.

With you, I know that I will smile at least once a week! on on!

Liked by 2 people

I forget who said it, but there is a little story a famous person says that ends pretty much by saying that whenever there is a disaster, look for the helpers, they are always there and should give hope. I think the same can be said during down times when everything seems wrong or bad – there are always those “helpers” out there giving positive words of help. I’m glad I found some before I wrote this post :) I’m also glad I can spread it forward a little and help others to smile.

2. Pingback: Weekly Smile – (TTC #993) – Laura McHarrie @ The Hidden Edge

3. Pingback: sightseeing – Touring My Backyard

4. Natasha

Sending a confetti of kindness, love and laughter your way.

Yes, the times we live in get get really bleak and pull the rug from our feet; but we have to keep going knowing all is not lost and there are some very incredible people, beings, flora and fauna that make this world a pretty wonderful place too.

Good vibes and a relaxed weekend, Trent.

Liked by 2 people

Thanks, Natasha. There are some pretty incredible people out there. It often seems that one bad person can do more damage than a thousand good people can fix, and yet we do have to look at those good people, even the single ones doing their little bits of good in quite. And, as you said, that wonderful natural world out there :)
      I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well :)

5. Sandra Pavloff Conner

I definitely agree about the world becoming more unkind. People need love so badly, and it really doesn’t take as much energy — physically or emotionally — to show love as it does to show hate. I find myself praying almost daily for the Lord to help me express His love, His mercy, and His healing to everyone in my path. So glad you had a restful few days. Being “untethered” is very important for maintaining our own happiness sometimes.

Liked by 2 people

There are a lot of people out there who use division to try to get their way, and, unfortunately, there are many more that happily follow this division… If we all accept that everyone is a human and not just an opinion, perhaps we can follow that path of love. It is so much healthier to love than to hate… We do all need to follow His example.
      Thanks, it was very nice to have some “off” time and relax.

6. Resa

…. so much mendacity in the world….

SMILE! I finished sewing (by hand) 540″ of ruffles on my new Art Gown. I realized I’m in the home stretch… 90% done.
    SMILE! My next Art Gown is for Charlotte. I’ve hoarded a small yardage of a sequin fabric for hers. I could never afford, nor would in the spirit of Art Gowns buy a fabric that cost $300.00 a yard, but this was a cast off, a left over from someone’s project. It sat for years in a scrap bin, then it was gifted to me. That is in the spirit of reuse, recycle, upcycle, repurpose, etc.!

540″ of ruffles by hand… Finishing that has to be a huge smile! I know most of your art gowns are recycled, repurposed, very cool that you can use what some would see as scrap or waste. I can’t wait to see Charlotte’s art gown!

7. Pingback: EVERYDAY MOMENTS – (#SOL-2022) – Mukhamani

8. Pingback: Weekly Smile: 6 June 2022 – Ruth Blogs Here

9. TheHiddenEdge

We Brits have had a bit of a breather this weekend, but the media and the politicians are back to biting once more!!! We await the outcome of the motion of no-confidence in our Prime Minister. Hey ho! Give me the garden any day. 🤣

Liked by 2 people

I do read BBC, so it was fun watching your celebration, though today I see it is back to business as usual. Or perhaps politics as unusual? Oh well, no more parties when you tell everyone else to stay home…. The garden does sound like a better time.

10. Pingback: Weekly Smile – (TTC #986) – Laura McHarrie @ The Hidden Edge

11. R.M. Carlson

Recording your smiles weekly is rather like keeping a gratitude journal where you record, in a journal, what you are grateful for each day. It’s particularly important to keep a record of what makes you smile at this time in history. On the home front, I can always find something to smile about. The antics of my little dog. My very kind and caring husband who helps me as much as he possibly can and I don’t know what I’d do without him. Gardening. Blogging. There are so many reasons to smile but, this week, I think I’d pick my husband, who is constantly loving and attentive. We’re really going through an adjustment as a family due to my retirement. It makes me smile to watch my husband help me learn to cope. We cannot forget the tragedies in our world, however, and effect positive change wherever possible..

Liked by 2 people

I’ve been doing the weekly smile for quite a few years and it does make a pretty good record of what I am grateful for and what made me smile. Between the coffee shares and the smiles, I pretty much have an online diary going back to 2014…
      It does sound like you have a lot to smile about and it’s great that you recognize it.

You are correct, being out in nature does help calm the nerves helps us see the world beyond ourselves. I don’t have quite the open spaces to explore as you seem to do regularly, but outside is outside :)